Journalling a Hedonistic Day


"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap." Luke 21:34

Having purely pleasurable days like can also be good for the soul. But I put that verse from my quiet time yesterday as a reminder- especially not to let my heart be weighed down with dissipation; those needless thinking.

It was really a fun day out food hunting- Sharetea taro milk because I had intense craves, chocolate chip egg waffles, egg custard 烧饼, 猪扒菠萝包- that alone for lunch. And then Hong Kong style zi char for dinner with traditional dessert after that.



Walked around the Sham Shui Po area which I am not exaggerating when I say it has EVERYTHING. Clothes, shoes, textiles, even industrial-kind drilling machines in assorted colours.


The best part was exploring the bead shops in Yu Chau Street and ribbon shops in Nam Cheong Street. The rows upon rows of beads and ribbons unlock the little artsy child in me. There is a sense of joy at seeing these pretty things.



Dinner was jovial; getting to know people and bantering around. Was a good one, with Open Rice endorsement you can't go too wrong.

Apliu Street flea market fascinates me by the array of things sold- one can get blinded by the bright lightbulbs at one store and then enjoy classical Chinese music from the impromptu orchestra at the next. (This unexpectedness of things is why I really love Hong Kong)



Heading back, we passed by the subway lined with mangy mattresses again.

"I didn't know that Sham Shui Po had so many homeless people", I remarked.
"Hong Kong has a lot of homeless people" my friend replied.
And we left it at that.

Comments